Rising Damp and Damp Proofing
The best way to diagnose your damp problem is to have a professional damp Surveyor to inspect your property.
At Bar Preservation we have qualified Surveyors who are trained to national standards to efficiently diagnose all kinds of damp problems. Once the problems are diagnosed, our Surveyor will provide the most effective and economical repair strategy to rectify the problem. The repair solution will be put together with a view to minimise disturbance to you and your property.
Rising damp is moisture that rises through the structure of a building due to capillary action.
It can occur for several reasons:
- The building could have been constructed without the installation of a damp proof course (DPC)
- The failure of an existing DPC
- The existing DPC being bridged, perhaps due to the incorrect application of exterior render
- The external ground level or internal floor level may have been raised or laid incorrectly during the original construction
- Brick, stone and mortar are all porous. This porosity can allow moisture to rise from the ground by capillary action bringing with it ground salts such as sulphates, chlorides and nitrates. These salts are hygroscopic and absorb moisture from the atmosphere.
The Signs of Damp
Any one of these signs could mean that you have a rising damp problem:
- Peeling Wallpaper
- Stained Walls
- Rotten Skirting Boards
- Salty Brickwork
- Musty Smells
Rising Damp Treatment
The two main methods for controlling rising damp are:
- Chemical Injection (a concentrated thixotropic silane /siloxane ‘cream’)
- Physical replacement - Removal of bricks and insertion of a barrier
In many cases, once the rising damp is being controlled, the affected interior walls will require re-plastering using integral water proofers and salt inhibiters or membrane installation with plaster over.
At Bar Preservation, our surveyors and technicians are familiar with all sources damp and their control.
BAR Preservation personnel are fully trained and have experience in providing bespoke remedial repairs to properties suffering from dampness. We will give accurate descriptions and a breakdown of costs within our initial survey and on completion of those works we will issue a long term company guarantee for the treatment of rising damp. For added peace of mind, the guarantee can be insurance backed for an additional small fee.Back Arrange A Survey